Monday, May 7, 2018

Interrogations of Griknak the Goblin Sniper and Vutrak Tongue-Splitter the Orc

Griknak the Sniper

Breknar Swampshield's Results:

Griknaks health was not critical but was very much wounded from the encounter. He had no disease but did seem to be suffering from a mild case of mange.
After healing Griknak, he was very talkative. I gave him a decent meal; roasted chicken, ale, and water. Initially he was very anxious. After earning his trust a bit he seemed to relax. His common is broken, and also seemed to barely have a grasp of his own goblinese. I did not attempt to speak in Orcish.
Griknak confirmed that Vultrak does not speak goblin, though this has not been confirmed. He is not his chief but only leading the small scouting party that we had defeated.
He also mentioned that the orcs mistreat the goblins and beat them. He showed great appreciation of how we’ve been treating him. Considering his conditions, his history, and our experiences with their fear of their commanders, I believe he is not evil by nature. He and the goblins working for the orcs are borderline slaves; indentured mercenaries.
I showed him a map being sure to conceal our location. He was very confused but described a large camp much larger than our own. I spent some time teaching him what a map is and eventually was able to pinpoint an exact location of the major Orc settlement, which seems to be where they are settled. They are by the sea. He gave the name of their Chieftain: Ravug, a Beastmaster, able to control and command animals and beasts.
He described the defenses and military force of the Orcs. They have watchtowers and patrols but does not seem to have artillery. He could not confirm any fortifications or walls.
I offered to return to teach Griknak common, culture, and laws. I believe he is capable of showing true character and assisting us. I am unsure if he's just been telling me what I want to hear. It’s promising that he is willing to stay imprisoned and patient enough to learn.
Griknak is very charming so I would advise anyone speaking to him to consider until he does live up to his promise to consider what he could be saying may be manipulative. He wants to prove his character to Sir Callen, to us and to the people of Longreach. I feel letting him leave wouldn’t be wise or even fair to him. Sending him to Ravug would be a suicide mission, especially after what I learned from Vutrak.
Lord Dieterich
Dieterich talked with Griknak twice. He also tried to talk to the orc, Vutrak, but was unable to get the orc to communicate with him.
The first time Dieterich was mostly trying to find out as much information from Griknak as he could. Griknak was very nice and agreeable. It seems he just wants to be set free. I lauded him with comments of his capabilities as a fighter and he seemed very happy to talk to me. He claims to not be important within their society, just a goblin scout. He mentioned Ravug, who is the leader of the orcs, it seems. According to Griknak, Ravug wants to know where we came from. The land our town is on is allegedly the orc's land as well. Coupled with the fact that we killed two orcs from a scouting party (with the third one running away and not killing any of us) has shamed Ravug. He's mad because it appears as though the orcs are weak. When asked if there was any further information that Griknak could provide, he just said that Ravug wants us dead. Griknak then let it slip that they were trying to find out who the leader in the town was so that they could kill them. When this was mentioned, Griknak claimed he was a friend. Griknak seems to dislike Ravug and wants to work with us.
This ends the first conversation. When discussed with Sir Calen, the man was undoubtedly against working with either the orcs or the goblins. (In this, I agree with not working with the orcs... there is no way that peace could remain between our two groups – they have already enslaved one group of people and they claim that we settled on their land. Any peace that was created between the two of us would end in them attacking us... that much I am certain of).
The second conversation I had with Griknak was to be blunt and honest with him. I told Griknak that the higher authorities wanted to execute him and did not want to let him go. Griknak immediately started bawling. He was very upset that everyone is lying to him. However, I told him that I would free him (as I do think I could make a good case for this) if he told me the honest truth about what he would do if he was let free. He said that the orcs made him a slave, we want to kill him, and he just wants to get away from here and live free. (At this point the conversation ended because the DM disappeared... however, Dieterich would like to free Griknak and make the goblin work with him. If Griknak seems to do well, Dieterich would consider helping Griknak free the goblins from the orcs and establishing an alliance with them... with Griknak hopefully in the leadership position because Dieterich has a good relationship with the goblin).

Vincent Jones:
Here are my general thoughts. I also only was able to speak with Girknak. To me he also seemed to hate the orcs, but I he is just as eager to betray us as he is to betray the goblins. I was hoping we could use Griknak to communicate with the goblin leaders to form a pact to destroy the orcs together.





Vutrak Tongue-Splitter


Breknar-

As you go to leave the orc speaks "What's it like?"

"what's what like?"

"What's it like being a half-blood?”

Vultrak was in poor condition though not life threatening. He would likely survive but may be permanently wounded. I am continuing to visit to assess his health. No disease was found.

Initially refused to speak to me. After comparing our battle scars, trophies of valor or brandings of shame he eventually broke silence. We spoke a while about culture and philosophy. I have to be honest he evoked a fairly emotional response from me. For this reason I will be summarizing quite a bit.

Vutrak was very hesitant to speak on specifics so the intel is vague and there's more to learn, and I’ve made some offers to him to potentially return and learn more.

Families, children. Not only are there children and families in the Orc settlement but they seem to have a vibrant flourishing society. They are not always battling and they are not always raiding. Not all orcs raid. Vultrak himself has a family and children there.

Honorable single combat
Vultrak’s clan would not take him back unless he earned his release through besting our champion and had proof of it.

Oblika Butter-Mouth: Seems to be the only mediator for outside trade or dealmaking. She would be our first and only point of contact prior to communicating with the rest of the clan.

He had nothing left to say to me until I could arrange his single combat. I get the sense we have gained repore with one another. If I can arrange this there's information I want to learn about, such as the name of this settlement.

Chieftain, more information is needed
The Settlement, what are their defenses and economy like. They do not purely thrive on raiding. They are on the sea so I want to know what they have for ships.

Combat, I want to know how they fight and how they raid. If I continue to learn from him learning orc tactics would be the next most crucial intel I can imagine.

Vultrak concerns me. He implies very strongly that war will be inevitable and trade is possible but difficult. He is not able to speak on whether peace would be possible but did say they typically are open to talks and that they are not always kill on sight. I want to stress, they are not one dimensional and do not live up to their reputation. An opportunity for peace is still on the table. We have to be careful about how we approach this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Baelik the Cursed - Expeditionary Summary 10/4/874

Reported by Layla Redstone: "Today our party ventured directly east of Longreach. We happened upon an old man-made structure on the ...